Sunday, January 16, 2011

Obedience

I found my word for the year!  Obedience.  Although first mention of the word makes me think of a well-trained dog, this word stuck with me when I heard it during today’s psalm
Sacrifice or offering you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. (Psalms 40:7)
What does true obedience mean?  Whom should be be obedient to?  What calls us to obedience?  In a society that values freedom, it is hard to hear the word obedience as positive, except in reference to animals and small children.  But true obedience to God is freeing, not constraining.  Throughout this year, I hope to answer these questions and improve my own obedience to the Lord, and to others in my life (read: my husband).

Have you chosen your own word for the year? I think it is a great way to work on improving faith without being overwhelmed.  In reality, choosing one word won’t limit my ability to grow in my faith, but will provide me with a jumping off point.  I think it would be really helpful to find a patron saint (or a few) that exemplify my word.  Of course, Jesus Christ is the perfect model - obedient to the point of death.
You can even order a beautiful word of the year necklace from Lisa Leonard Designs to help remind you of your word on a daily basis.  I think I might splurge and get one (maybe I’ll ask for it for Valentine’s day - although I can’t even imagine the looks I’d get explaining that my husband got me a necklace with the word “obedience” on it - not the best connotation, I think!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.