Monday, October 24, 2011

Menu Plan Monday 10/24

 
This is my first time attempting to write a meal plan for the week.  The problem I have with planning meals is that I always make full recipes (which are usually written to accommodate 4-6 people) so we always have a day or two of leftovers after every meal.  Some people don’t like eating the same thing two days in a row (my dad HATES it!) but as long as it came out well the first time, my husband is usually requesting the leftovers the next evening.  So I usually only make 3-4 “new” meals each week and the rest of the days are leftovers.  This week, I’m sure, will be no exception.

Tuesday: Leftovers
Wednesday: Breakfast burritos (my husband requests this at least once a week!)
Thursday: Cheese Enchiladas with refried beans
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Creamy potato soup
Sunday: Stir fry (ingredients will depend on what’s available at the farmer’s market) with rice

You might notice that none of the meals specifically include meat.  I’m a vegetarian (and my husband isn’t) so I try to make a lot of meals where meat isn’t a main ingredient but could be easily added.  For example, the quiche recipe fills two pie shells – I’ll put cubes of ham in one for my husband.  My husband always adds sausage to his breakfast burritos and I plan to make some of the enchiladas with chicken.  I could also throw in some chicken to half of the stir fry when it’s almost done, but lately David’s been preferring his stir fry sans meat. 


Also on the cooking schedule this week: Black Bean Lunch Wraps to freeze for meals after the baby’s born.

I'm linking this post to Menu Plan Monday at I'm an Organizing Junkie.  Check out the all the other menu plan links for some meal plan inspiration this week!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I think it's awesome that you plan this out! I've been married 23 years and I've never quite got the hang of that down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky to have leftovers. I never have any leftovers, even if the recipe says it feeds 4-6. I like to think it is because the cookbook assumes you will eat it with side dishes, and we rarely have sides, but it is probably just because we are too greedy!

    And good call on freezer burritos. They were perfect for us post-partum. (And really yummy while in labour too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by after seeing your link on OrgJunkie! :) Happy Meal planning! :)Congrats on the baby!
    Cindy
    http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to do this also. But I'm not very good at it. I try and then ppl yell at me "why are we eating that?" or like last week we didn't even follow my plan. So I only plan it if I feel up to it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY Mandi :-)
    Happy you're on the MPM wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have leftovers too. I like to eat them for lunch or freeze them to use a few weeks down the road :)

    Stopping by from MPM

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.