Friday, June 24, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Take 17)



"7 Quick Takes Friday" is being hosted today by Hallie at Betty Beguiles because Jen of Conversion Diary had her baby a few days go!  Congrats Jen!


1) Yesterday, I published this post that I promised in last week’s Quick Takes about how my husband and I became open to life after starting out our marriage set against having children in the near future.  It’s long, but I do hope some of you will find the time to read it.

2) I joined Pinterest after reading this Pinterest: A Beginner’s Guide post at SortaCrunchy.  I’m not sure how I feel about it at this point or if I’ll be spending much time on it in the future, but it sure is very pretty.

3) I was very proud of myself getting 97% on this civic literacy exam by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute.  In a 2008 survey, 49% was the average score of Americans that took the quiz and college educators only scored slightly better at 55%.  Shameful.  I was embarrassed that I missed one question since I studied to be a social studies teacher, but I will admit that several of the questions were fairly difficult.  Still, I would hope Americans knew enough about civics to get at least a passing score!  Go ahead and take it, I challenge you!

4) We were able to hear the baby’s heartbeat again at an appointment earlier this week and it was so loud!  Our little peanut sounded very healthy.  Even more exciting - I felt some rumbling around in my tummy for the first time two night ago.  It seems so much more real now!

5) My husband’s aunt and cousins are hosting a small (very early) baby shower for us this weekend before we move.  So exciting!  It’s a coed shower and I’ve very curious to see what they have planned. 

6) My grandfather has been undergoing chemo for the lymphoma that returned shortly after he got the all clear earlier this year.  He got the results back from a PET scan yesterday and the cancer shrunk substantially!  The doctor himself was very pleased and surprised by the results - that’s what happens with so many people praying!  He still has to have three more rounds of chemo and it’s really hard on him at his age, but he is determined to do everything possible to be around for his great grandchildren on the way (my cousin and his girlfriend are expecting also).

7) I found the cutest craft for a homemade wedding gift (or housewarming gift, hostess gift, etc.): scrabble coasters.

There is a tutorial here.  I was thinking that instead of the suggested wine, beer, food themes, I could use a love theme, with words like love, hugs, kiss, life, dear, amor, pair, etc.  We are going to a wedding next weekend, but I don’t think that gives me enough time to find extra scrabble tiles (I'm thinking garage sales and thrift shops) and make them.  Oh well, I’m sure there will be a next time!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.