Thursday, April 26, 2012

Rockin' Green Detergent Review


As soon as I decided to cloth diaper (long before Lucia was actually born), the research began.  Cloth diapering can be overwhelming to a beginner and I was soon knee-deep in all the decisions that needed to be made including which types of cloth diapers to use, which brands to buy, how many to get, etc.  The one question that I didn't stress about is which detergent to buy.  



Cloth diapers require special detergent because "normal" detergents can build up on them and decrease their absorbancy.  Not to mention, I was already looking for a detergent to use for my baby because I was uncomfortable with the chemicals present in most commercial detergents.  There are several cloth diaper detergents available, however, as I researched cloth diapering, it seemed that all the cloth diapering moms were talking about one brand: Rockin' Green.  

I ordered my first bag of Rockin' Green Cloth Diaper & Laundry Detergent a few months before my daughter was born.  I immediately went to work using it to wash all the baby clothes in preparation for her arrival.  Right away, I noticed that Rockin' Green worked well.  Many of the clothing  items we had for our baby were bought by my mother at garage sales and despite her careful inspection, some of them had small spots or stains on them.  Rockin' Green got almost all of them out (some of the more stubborn ones needed serious stain treatment).  In fact, Rockin' Green is especially good for soaking difficult stains.  Lucia's room has a duck theme and during my pregnancy, my mom found one of my old baby toys, a stuffed yellow duck!  The problem was that the duck was terribly stained and the stains had probably been there nearly 25 years.  I soaked it in Rockin' Green for a few hours, then washed in the washing machine (with more Rockin' Green) and it came out perfectly clean! 

There are a few things that really sets Rockin' Green apart from other detergents:
Lucia with my old (but clean) duckie
  • Rockin' Green comes in three different formulas: Hard Rock, Soft Rock, and Classic Rock for hard, soft, and "regular" water.  I've found that getting the right formula for your water is essential to getting the best wash and the Rockin' Green website offers you the ability to buy water test strips and samples in order to find your perfect formula.
  • Rockin' Green comes in a variety of scents that are made from 100% natural essential oils (no artificial scents!).  The scents are light and the clothes comes out of the wash virtually scentless (the scent is more for you to enjoy when starting the laundry).  My favorite scents are Lavender Mint and Rage Against the Raspberries.
  • All Rockin' Green products are dye-free and phosphate-free.
  • All Rockin' Green products are biodegradable.  I love eco-friendly products!
  • All Rockin' Green products are made in the U.S.!  Don't you love supporting our economy with your purchases, especially in these hard times?
all packages come with detailed instructions
While I initially bought Rockin' Green to use for our cloth diapers and for our baby's clothes, we now use it on all of our laundry. It works wonderfully and one bag lasts quite some time.  I'm excited to try some of Rockin' Greens other products as well.  Other products include Femme Rock for mama cloth, Funk Rock to get rid of tough ammonia odors in cloth diapers, and Doghouse Rock for pet bedding, toys, etc. (I just need to convince David to buy me a puppy first!)

Where to buy: You can purchase Rockin' Green through the Rockin' Green website and a variety of other online retailers.



Come back to win: Rockin' Green is providing me a full-sized bag of detergent to give away as part of my prize package for the Mother's Day Cloth Diaper Giveaway Hop (May 1-12).






I was sent three samples of Rockin' Green Detergent in order to facilitate this review. All opinions are 100% mine. See Disclosure Policy

45 comments:

  1. I <3 this stuff! Another thing about this company which is great is if you get a test strip and the reading isnt clear (for us the water was on the harder end of regular) if you post to their facebook page for help someone actually will help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know they made some other products. I think I need to buy the funk rock. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've been thinking about trying Funk Rock, too!  Right now my diapers get washed in All Free&Clear, which is fine, but man, they kinda smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love Rockin Green... our favorite scent is Motely Clean! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the unscented Bare naked babies. It is great for sensitive skinned babies!  Love that they make quality products and have great customer service

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been dying to try this.  I make my own laundry detergent, but I have heard this is the best for cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try this. I just haven't been able to justify buying any because I made my own cloth diaper detergent that does the trick. I have tried the Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer though because we did get an ammonia build up. It "rocks!" :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the detergent comes in a variety to suit your needs. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been using Rockin Green since we started cloth diapering our baby and love it.  A little goes a long way and it gets our diapers clean every time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rockin Green is my go-to cloth diaper detergent.  I've tried a couple other brands, but I always go back to this one :)  I've just recently started using their Funk Rock as well and am very happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to try Rage Against the Raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried this but I like that it comes in all different formulas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of the different scents and formulas you can choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've tried it and haven't seen a whole lot of difference in the laundry, I do admit that I love the fact that it isn't a lot of scary chemicals, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love rocking green for cloth. I want to try the funk rock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to try the Earth, Wind, and Orchids scent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never tried rockin green, but it sounds like I NEED to!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rockin' Green website offers you the ability to buy water test strips and samples in order to find your perfect formula. <--- I didn't realize this. I definitely want to try out the test strips so I know exactly what I'm dealing with. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20.  i like the different formuals it comes with as well as the scents! ive tried one small sample and would love to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the scents and formulas! So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like the best detergent to get for my cloth diapers. My daughter is due in 5 weeks and I need to get all of her fluff ready for when she gets here

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just tried it last wash and was really impressed - would love more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i had no clue that they sell water test strips!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  25. We love Rockin' Green around here!  I would love to try the Motley Clean scent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never used this product although I have heard of it and heard good things about it. 

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have problems getting the urine smell out of my diapers and would like to try this to see if it will work

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the variety of products they offer!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love their smells and the names of their products

    ReplyDelete
  30. Alanna ButterfieldMay 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

    I loooove Rage Against The Raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love rng rage against the rasberries

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have heard so much about Rockin Green too, but haven't tried any. I think the Funk Rock would be really nice to have around for smelly stuff, and the scents sound so good!

    -Hannah Avery

    hannahavery85@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's neat that they offer detergents for different types of water!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Elizabeth TeixeiraMay 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM

    Woohoo green detergent that won't break the bank! 

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love their scent names!  I'd love to try the Lavender Mint Revival.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just ordered some the other day and can't wait to try it.  It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I keep hearing a lot about this brand lately; they seem pretty darn cool for a detergent company!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ashley's BookshelfMay 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

    I love the classic rock in raspberry scent :]

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cassandra WilliamsMay 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

    I LOVE Rockin' Green

    ReplyDelete
  41.  Sounds great!  Need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love that Rockin Green is made in the US! I always appreciate and support products like this, especially when they have amazing reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I <3 this stuff! Another thing about this company which is great is if you get a test strip and the reading isnt clear (for us the water was on the harder end of regular) if you post to their facebook page for help someone actually will help you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.