Yesterday was my last day of teaching for the school year. Although school doesn't end until tomorrow and I'll be going in for a bit to clean and organize my classroom, all my grades are in and I'm effectively done with my first year of teaching.
I'm going to be really honest and admit that I'm a bit nervous about being home full-time this summer. I'm excited, I've always wanted to stay home with Lucia but it's always harder than I expect. I don't get much done when we're home all day, so I'm making some plans and goals to keep us busy and get a lot done. Here are some of the things on the docket this summer:
With the Tot
- Signed up for "mommy and me" gymnastics and swimming for the month of June at the city rec center. Super curious as to what "gymnastics" for one-year-olds looks like.
- Just signed up for the library summer reading program for prereaders this morning. I printed out the "reading log" with different literacy activities for us to do together. If we complete all the activities on the log for June and July, we get a book at the end of each month!
- We're going to get back in the swing of going to the library story time.
- Also just printed out the schedule for the traveling storyteller in the park. And the Tuesday night outdoor family shows. Can you tell we love our local library? (Thanks, Cat for the inspiration!)
- There is a really cute small farm/petting zoo nearby that I think Lucia would love.
- My parents are dying to take Lulu on the miniature train at one of our local parks.
- We have an awesome park around her with those spraying water play area things. I kind of think she may not like it, but we shall at least try.
- Put a lot of effort into potty training. She's tells us 90% of the time when she had to go #2 already so I'm hoping that if I'm home with her and she has that consistency, she'll do that with pee as well.
- Lots and lots of backyard time:
The Whole Family
- I'd really love to get to the zoo a few times this summer.
- Family picnics and afternoon in the park sound lovely.
- There are so many free outdoor concerts in Northern Colorado. I can't wait.
- I'm thinking we need to find a kid's helmet and seat to attach to our bikes. I don't think I rode a bike once last summer and the summer before we only got a few rides in before the balance issues of pregnancy kicked in.
- Have regular movie nights. We used to love watching movies together but rarely have had time for them since moving here. My parents have Netflix so we have a ton of movies at our fingertips. We just need to plan times to actually sit down and watch.
- Work out together.
- Sit outside in the evenings talking and having a drink and maybe dessert. Just chillin' together.
- My main "to do" is going through all Lulu's baby stuff, deciding what to keep, organizing it, and getting it stored away. I'll be doing a lot of this will my sister-in-law since she'll be taking a lot for my niece.
- While I'm at it, I should probably tackle the clutter monster that lives in our room. He has a particular affection for useless papers and tricks me into thinking they all are so very important.
- Knit. I learned to knit last year but it's been on the backburner for a while now and I want to actually make a complete project.
- Learn to sew. My parents gave me a sewing machine for Christmas that has still to see the outside of the box. For my birthday they made me a "coupon" to get sewing lessons and I've been waiting until summer to start.
- Read a chapter a day. I have about 12 (not exaggerating) book that are in some state of completion and it's time that I actually finish a few.
- Now that I'm home, I have no excuse not to stay active and eat healthy. I'm going to try to do a lot of "new" things in the kitchen, like make my own chicken stock and healthy energy bars. And I bought a month of Bikram yoga on Groupon recently that I'm so ready to start!
- During the year, I didn't do as much couponing/sale shopping (maybe even garage saling!) because I simply didn't have time for it. Now I do. I'm going to save, save, save. And probably make some things myself (like laundry detergent).
- I've been such a recluse this school year; I finally have time to spend with family and friends.
- I have a list of DIYs a mile long on Pinterest that I would like to do. And tons of odds and ends craft supplies that I'd love to use up so I don't have to haul them around next time I move.
- Plan a baby shower for my sister-in-law.
There are a million other things I've been putting off for this summer and can't remember right now. We'll probably be helping my parents paint the house (the inside) as well. And maybe we'll be moving. Who knows?
What are your summer plans?
Any ideas of books I need to catch up on?
Things that I have to do with a one-year-old?