Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I voted, did you?


And if you haven't yet, what are you waiting for?

As someone who went to school to become a high school social studies teacher, I understand the importance of politics and the privilege/responsibility of voting.  In fact, I consider election day to be the biggest test for my (future) students, one that obviously doesn't affect their grade but will be the ultimate judge of my ability to teach.  If my students understand the basic government system, have enough information to know how to research candidates and topics and make informed decision, and actually put their knowledge to use by voting, joining a campaign, or even running for public office, then I have done my work.  Of course, I have my own political opinions, but I'm not interested in indoctrinating young people, just empowering them to make their own decisions based on fact and understanding of the political, social and economic systems (past and present) of this country and around the world.  Of course, this is all hypothetical, since I am currently a Starbucks employee and not a teacher, but someday...

I also believe that being politically active is our responsibility as Catholics.  Of course there is a separation of church and state (as there should be), but we should continue to fight for the dignity of human life.  This means fighting for the rights of the poor, hungry, homeless, as well as unborn, handicapped, and elderly.  We should also fight for freedom of speech and religion so that all people can have the freedom to worship as they wish.  Once the rights of even a few are stripped, it is so easy to slowly take away the rights of all.

This is, obviously, a very important issue to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.