Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grandma's Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies

Novice housewife mistake of the day: thinking “cube of butter” meant “stick of butter”. 

Lesson of the day: If you put a whole stick of butter in a no-bake cookie recipe that calls for a cube of butter, the cookies will never harden, you’ll have to throw them out, and then make a new batch for your disappointed husband.  (And for the record, a cube of butter is 2 tablespoons, and when cut from a stick of butter, it actually looks like a cube.)


I recently saw a recipe for peanut butter no-bake cookies on Pinterest, which reminded me of the chocolate peanut butter no-bake cookies I used to make with my dad when I was a kid.  I called my mom and she promptly emailed me the recipe.  It was my grandma’s recipe and my dad’s favorite treat as a child, and I remember how much fun I had baking them.  I was looking forward to making them for David because I was sure he would love them (which was a fairly safe bet considering he loves anything with sugar).

I thought that first batch looked a little more runny than I remembered, but I probably haven’t made it in ten years, so I thought I just wasn’t remembering right.  Then they seemed to take forever to harden, but again, I thought my memory was just flawed.  When David got home and they still were soupy, I looked up a cube of butter and realized my mistake.  Oops. 

But if you put the right amount of butter in it, it is very quick and easy to make, and very, very delicious to eat.  Try it for yourself:


1 cube (2 Tbsp) butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 Tbsp cocoa

Mix together in sauce pan, boil one minute

Have ready to add:

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 cups oatmeal (quick oats)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together and drop from spoon into wax paper

Depending on the size of the cookies you make, this will make between 1 and 2 dozen.

4 comments:

  1. These are some of my favorite cookies! My mom made them when I was growing up. Yum! Oh.... I just realized I have all the ingredients on hand. This could be dangerous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite cookies...Chocolate+peanut butter = awesome. I may have to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my sister was asking me if I had ever made these and I was like yes I have them pinned on pinterest! I went to my board to find them and it was to your BLOG/RECIPE! I said no way this is my friends blog! Small world!

    We might be testing this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.