Friday, April 8, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Take 12)


~UNO~


Last night, my husband's cousin and his wife announced that they are pregnant.  They had been trying for years, suffered two pregnancies, and went as far as trying IVF.  Nothing worked.  When she was diagnosed and treated with thyroid cancer a few years ago, she decided that it was just too hard on her to keep trying.  She gave all her "baby stuff" saved up over the years to a young pregnant college student she worked with and seemed very peaceful about their decision.  So imagine their surprise when, after years of trying, they stop trying and get pregnant.  The new mommy-to-be mentioned that once they finally took science out of the equation, they got pregnant.  God is so good!  We are so excited for them.  We didn't reveal that we're pregnant, but it's exciting that she is only four weeks ahead of me.  I only wish we weren't moving this summer so we could be there throughout their pregnancy and see the baby!

~DOS~

Last week, when I was home visiting family, it was much more difficult than I thought it would be to keep my pregnancy hidden.  My friends wanted to go out to the bars.  They wanted to go in hot tubs.  They wanted to eat sushi.  Here at home, I find that I don't have to do much differently now that I'm pregnant (I don't usually drink, can't remember the last time I went in a pool, much less a hot tub, and we can't usually afford sushi!), but apparently, my friends (and family) enjoy doing many a thing that pregnant women can't do.

~TRES~

It was even harder to keep quiet when my mom launched into a speech enumerating the many reasons why she thinks we are "stupid" for trying to get pregnant right now.  It was hard to hear, especially since I'm already pregnant and I can't really change my mind now.  I just wanted to scream "I'M ALREADY PREGNANT, SO LEAVE ME ALONE!"  Not that I'm second guessing our choice or am any less thrilled about being pregnant - the ultimate decision was left up to God, of course, and I trust his decision completely - I was just hoping that my mom would be overjoyed and supportive, just as I've wanted her to be in everything I've ever endeavored.  Of course, she'll be happy eventually (she'll be a great doting grandmother after she gets over the fact that I didn't heed her sage advice), but now I'm scared to death to tell her.  Ugh.  Not what I expected.  I had even planned to tell her I was pregnant while I was there if the "right moment" came up.  Definitely didn't come up.

~CUATRO~

Praymorenovenas.com is organizing a novena for the Pope's 84th birthday starting TODAY.  The goal is to have 84,000 people saying the novena, so go to the website, sign up to get reminder emails with the prayers and join me!

~CINCO~

I get a text every day of Lent and Advent with a reflection based on the day's readings from a friend of mine at my former parish.  I have no idea how many he sends out, probably around a hundred at least each day, but through that small action he is a blessing to so many people.  At least I know he is to mine.  Sometimes it's easy to get sidetracked with daily monotony that I forget it's even Lent and his texts always remind me and give me something particular to reflect on.  I don't know where he got that idea, but it's so wonderful!

~SEIS~

Sometimes I'm glad my husband is a grad student because we get free meals.  There is always some kind of event going on and food is always involved (or I'm sure no one would show up).  It almost makes up for the fact that we are so poor because he is a grad student.

~SIETE~

Usually I'm not glad that my husband is a grad student because he's always stressed.  Poor guy.  The fact that I'm pregnant and constantly exhausted and we'll soon have another mouth to feed probably doesn't help.  But he never complains.  I married a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.