Friday, July 29, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Take 20)

1.  On Monday, my husband and I decided to take a dip in the apartment pool to cool off from the heat.  About ten minutes after we’d gotten in the pool, David realized that he had BOTH our phones in his swim trunks pocket.  Oops!  Needless to say, they were ruined and we initially were so upset by the thought of having to buy two new phones – they can be so expensive!  In reality, it was probably a blessing in disguise.  Both our phones were pretty old and in bad shape.  We were able to replace mine for free because we had an upgrade and David bought a very basic phone (that was still much nicer than his old one) for only $30. 
2.  My mother-in-law and her sister flew in yesterday and are staying until Tuesday.  They came to help us finish getting settled into our apartment and I certainly can use the help.  I am so ready to get all our boxes unpacked and put away.

3.  I wrote this post earlier this week about Mass last weekend at a church with no kneelers.  CDNowak responded to my post with this great video of Cardinal Arinze answering a woman’s question about churches where the congregation stands instead of kneels during the consecration.  I loved his response that “those who removed the kneelers have done damage to the Catholic community”.
4.   One of the best things about moving here during my pregnancy is the birth center nearby.  We met with one of the midwives yesterday and it was a wonderful and refreshing change from our obstetrician in Indiana.  Instead of five minutes with the doctor, we spent 45 minutes with the nurse midwife.  She talked to us about nutrition, exercise, breastfeeding, and so much more.  I feel much more confident that I will be getting good care and that our healthcare provider actually cares about us personally.  Of course, there are probably some great doctors out there that provide the same level of care and support, but mine certainly wasn’t one of them! 

5.  My brother-in-law flew this weekend to meet the girl he’s been chatting with on Catholic Match for the past five months.  I can’t imagine how nerve-wracking that would be!  My husband and I met on the site too, but we only lived about an hour apart, so if the first date didn’t go well, then we only had a few awkward hours together.  He’s going to be there for several days, so if they don’t click, that would make for a LONG weekend!  She seems like a very sweet girl though, so I’m praying that they hit it off.

6.  If it works out between the two of them, perhaps we’ll have to go on a Catholic Match  commercial – “two brothers both find their wives on Catholic Match”… and I’ll have to convince my brother to join in a couple years when he’s ready to settle down.   
7.  I recently came across Inspired Treasures, the website of a woman selling rosaries to pay off her student loans in order to join the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church.  The rosaries are truly beautiful and I encourage you to keep the site in mind for any rosary-buying occasions you may have in the future.  You can also read about Dyna and her vocation story on the site.  I am definitely going to be adding her to my prayers!

Ok, now go visit Jen at Conversion Diary to see more great Quick Takes!

4 comments:

  1. The thing about the kneelser is interesting because I understood that standing is the norm in most of the world, and kneeling is an approved variation for the U.S. Maybe that's out of date at this point, who knows? I'm not up on the liturgy stuff as I once was. We attend at a church with kneelers, and I'll admit that last weekend when we visited a church without, it felt kind of weird to be standing.

    My husband lost his phone in the Gulf of Mexico one time when a wave came farther up the beach than he expected. He lost another one in Chicago a couple of weeks ago when someone mugged it off him on the El. Both of them were work phones, the only kind he's ever had. :/ Me, I only carry a prepaid phone for emergencies...and even then, only when I have to! I loathe the things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no about the phones! But you gotta love free apartment pools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, can I just say that your blog is beautiful! If one can describe a blog that way, that is :) Thanks so much for stopping by.

    Also, I am so excited for you and the chance you have to give birth at a birthing center. That is my secret wish, but ah, I don't think I'll be able to do it. Many prayers for you and that little one. Being a mama is incredible ;)

    Oh, and thanks for the website for the rosaries. I'll make sure and pass it on to others! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stories about CatholicMatch! I hope it works out well for your brother-in-law. That's just too cool!
    I can't tell you how uncomfortable I am when I go to Mass at a church that has no kneelers. I'm glad you've been posting on the topic.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.