Saturday, January 15, 2011

I want to be a loser.

There are two areas in my life in which I would like to be a big loser:

A) Weight - or rather, I don’t have that much weight to lose, but I would like to get in shape.  I am constantly coming up with excuses not to exercise, which I don’t quite understand because I feel wonderful after I exercise.  Physically I feel great, but I also feel very accomplished and my self-esteem is much improved.  So why do I continue to fight it?  I’m not quite sure, but I’ve decided that I’m going to add requests for perseverance and energy to exercise and treat my body well (read: healthy, homemade meals) to my daily prayers.  I guess I’ve never really thought to ask for divine assistance for these matters before, but it’s worth a try.  I think it will make me much more accountable, since I will feel guilty asking for God’s help if I am not willing to put my share of work in.  Although I didn’t come from a highly religious household (or maybe because of it), I often heard “God helps those who help themselves” growing up.  Any advice?  Is there anything you do to help you connect your faith with your physical well being?

B) Stuff- I want to lose stuff so that I won’t have as much to move when we once again move across several states this summer.  Knowing that there is (at least) one more move we’ll have to make in the next few years, I am adamant that I disconnect myself from a lot of my junk.  I use PaperbackSwap to trade books I no longer want for books I’ve been wanting to read, and I went through our two large bookshelves and listed several books that I don’t need.  I am such a bibliophile, so that really didn’t even touch upon the mountains of books we own, but it’s something, right?  I listed a few items on ebay and Amazon as well.  If they don’t sell, they’ll be headed to Goodwill, but it’s worth a try right?  Oh, and I finally got my husband to list his couch on Craig’s List, yep, the couch that has been sitting at his old house with his old roommates since we got married in July.  He received a call from someone wanting to buy it about ten minutes after he posted the ad.  So we have a little extra pocket change and a few less items.  But I’m such a pack rat that I know I have to get rid of so much more.  How do I do it?  How do I figure out what to lose and what to keep?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.