Sunday, January 9, 2011

moving pains

As I said in my last post, my husband and I will be moving to North Carolina this summer, making it my second move in a year.  These are some of the first thoughts that I had when I found out that we would probably have to make the move:
  • I just applied for my Indiana teaching license.  It was a long and expensive process (taking a first aid class, ordering transcripts and test scores, paying the state).  I literally sent in my final payment last Friday and found out Monday that we would probably have to move.  On the bright side, I’ve already looked into applying for a North Carolina teaching license and almost have my entire application packet ready since I ordered extra transcripts, etc.  Maybe I had a premonition that I would need them in the near future.
  • I just bought new address labels.  We were getting low on our address labels, and thinking that we had at least a year and a half more in this apartment, I ordered a new set two weeks ago.  They didn’t even ship until after we decided to move.  Guess I’ll be using it as an excuse to send tons of cards and letters to family and friends.  Why does it always work out this way?
  • Thank goodness we did not buy the treadmill David’s been wanting.  We already have too much to move as it is, I definitely do not need to lug excercise equipment across states.  I am already thinking of how to get rid of unneccesary things, but that would mostly consist of clothes and other small items that won’t make much of a difference in the moving van.  I already culled most of my items when I moved here and we haven’t had much time to accummulate junk.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) we both have relatively nice, new bedroom sets and furniture so I don’t want to leave anything behind.  It will be much more cost effective to rent a huge moving van than sell are furniture for peanuts and have to turn around and pay quite a bit to get as nice of quality stuff.
  • I will not buy anything else while we are here. I will not buy anything else while we are here. I will not buy anything else while we are here. We need to save money for the move and I do not need anything else to pack.  I hate packing!  I also need to make sure that we only buy the food we need because I don’t want to have a bunch of cans left to move.  It’s so hard because I like to stock up when there are sales!
My parents have offered to take vacation time this summer to help move us.  In fact, they didn’t really offered, they just planned on it.  I would love their help, but I don’t want them to waste a vacation on moving - that is certainly not the relaxation they need, especially after taking all their vacation time last year between cancer treatments (for my mom), my wedding (they enjoyed it, but it was busy and stressful) and moving me here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.