Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A letter to our baby (long before she was born)

I wrote this letter to Lulu the day after we found out we were pregnant.  I didn't know I was writing it for Lucia, I just knew that I was writing it for our first born, for the child we so desired, for our baby that we would love with all our hearts.  And that's exactly who Lulu is.  I found this in a file on David's laptop.  It's quite possible that someday (soon) the computer would die and the letter would be gone forever, but thank goodness I found it.  I can't wait to share it with Lulu some day and it just felt appropriate to share it with you.  My blog was very small when I found out was pregnant (in fact, I don't remember receiving a single comment when I shared the news on my blog) so I never thought to post it back then.  I had planned to write the baby letters throughout pregnancy, but this ended up being the only one.  Reading it now, I think it's enough.  It tells how much we loved her from the very beginning and that is all that truly matters.




-->
March 22, 2011


Darling Little One,

Only yesterday did your daddy and I learn of your existence.  We were truly as happy as any new parents who learn that they finally have a child after months of waiting.  You are much loved, little one, even before we see your face or I can feel your presence in my belly.  We prayed the Rosary last night in thanksgiving for you, because you are truly our gift from God.  I felt very peaceful knowing that the Holy Mother is watching over us as I learn what it means to be a mother myself.   
Already our life together is changing, because although you are still tucked safely inside me, we are already a family of three.  You are coming into a family full of love, and will grow up with parents who not only will love and adore you but dearly love one another.  You are the fruit of our love.  Your grandparents, great-grandparents, uncles, and all the family will be so excited to greet you when you arrive in this world, although they do not yet know that you are coming.  Your daddy and I want to take time to privately celebrate your presence in our lives before we announce to the world that you are on your way.  And of course, your life will be filled with the love of God, who created you and placed you in our care. 
I try to imagine what you will be like, to imagine the life you have before you.  I do not yet know if you are a boy or a girl, but I know that God has great plans for you.  He made you with a purpose and he made you perfectly.  I pray that I may be the mother you deserve, that I may help you to grow into a strong man or woman of God. 

With all my love,
Mommy






2 comments:

  1. This is precious! My mom did the same thing for me, only she wrote me letters starting at 6 months up until 6 years every few weeks. She gave them to me as a gift at my bridal shower. Truly the best gift I've ever received!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Mandi! I love this. I kept a journal while we were waiting to adopt our first son and tried to keep one while we were waiting for our second son, and this makes me want to go back and reread.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.