Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Five Favorites (2)


my new DIY earring holder

Love it!  So useful, so cheap and easy to make.  See my tutorial here.
(And since I know you are wondering, yes those are Rockies and Broncos earrings.
No, they don't get much wear.)



Little Blue Truck

I believe that children deserve the best, including literature, movies, and television shows.  How can we expect them to grow up to love the classics and be able to discern good literature (and perhaps to write a classic of their own) if we feed them a steady diet of, excuse my French, crap?  There are a lot of good children's books out there, but there is even more "fluff".  If I can't stand most children's books because it's boring, predictable, annoying, or otherwise less than stellar, is it any wonder that they can't keep my one-year-old's attention?  This book is great and has a really vintage feel, even though it's only a few years old.  One of my favorite bedtime (or anytime) reads.



 Cheese

Mmmm...cheese, yeah!  Did you catch my post yesterday in which I described one of the million reasons why I know that my husband is the man God meant for me to be with?  (If you didn't, it's because he's an amazing gift giver and gave me a basket full of fancy schmancy cheeses from around the globe for my birthday.)  Last night, after Lucia went to sleep, us adults - my parents, David and I - had a mini cheese sampling with four of the cheeses (and apples and pears and almonds and WINE!).  I felt very adult (and very French) doing so.  I was the only one who rated all four cheeses highly (see me homemade rating scale here) and David only really liked one.  (The only cheese he liked tasted very similar to cheddar and he declared that he actually preferred supermarket block o' cheddar better, the poor uncultured soul.)  I see a life-long cheese tasting love affair in the works.  A true affair in the sense that it won't involve my husband at all.

Cheeses tasted & ratings:
Edam (Holland) - 4
Leicester Red (England) - 4
Leonora Goat (Spain) - 4
Roboila de Bosco - 4 (This is the particularly smelly one I mentioned yesterday! Much tastier than it smells!)
 


Maxi Skirts

I love them!  I'm dying to get a flowy chiffon one in mint or coral.  Or light pink.  Or cream.   Or any color really.  I almost got one at a thrift store the other day, but it wasn't quite what I wanted and I couldn't justify spending any money, not even thrift store prices, on something I wasn't in love with.  I see myself wearing one all the time and looking boho beautiful in future pregnancies wearing it (like this).  But in truth, I'm pretty darn short and I worry that any one I buy will be way too long and will make me look frumpy and short.




St. Joseph

Yesterday was the feast day of Saint Joseph.  We've been spending quite a bit of time asking for his intercession during David's job search and I've gotten quite close to this gentle, hardworking man.  Imagine what it must have been like to be the only person in the household that wasn't perfect?  That must have been humbling!  

I was looking for a prayer yesterday for us to say to honor Saint Joseph and yet again ask for his aid in finding David a job.  I came across this beautiful one that you may want to forward on to anyone currently job searching.  It's the most lovely employment prayer I've encountered.
Dear Saint Joseph, you were yourself once faced with the responsibility of providing the necessities of life for Jesus and Mary. Look down with fatherly compassion upon me in my anxiety over my present inability to support my family. Please help me to find gainful employment very soon, so that this heavy burden of concern will be lifted from my heart and that I am soon able to provide for those whom God has entrusted to my care. Help us to guard against bitterness and discouragement, so that we may emerge from this trial spiritually enriched and with even greater blessings from God. Amen.

Thanks for hosting, Miss Hallie!



9 comments:

  1. Love the Little Blue Truck! It's one of our faves, too! And Maxi skirts are awesome! Sent you a FB msg, btw. It probably went to your "other" folder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER thought about Joseph being the only unperfect one. The thought made me laugh and really think all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like that earring holder! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought Little Blue Truck for our boys too! They love when I make animal sounds along with the story. And the cheese & wine sampling? That sounds delicious. I've never cheese sampled OR wine sampled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stacy! It was the easiest DIY I've ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it must have been difficult at times. No use arguing because you always knew who was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, we only had one wine so that was take it or leave it, but plenty of cheeses to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of Little Blue Truck before we got it as a gift! I'm glad to hear it's a popular one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love The Little Blue Truck! It's one of my son's favorite books. We've read it so many times that he can fill in nearly all the sounds as we read the book together!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.