Monday, March 18, 2013

What I Wore Sunday: Sequins & Stonings

  shirt: IZ Byer (Kohl's) | sweater:
skirt: | shoes: Maurices
earrings: c/o Blue Nile | necklace: inherited

I just realized I didn't buy a single thing I wore yesterday.  The shirt was a birthday gift from my aunt that I opened the night before and since it had green in it, I couldn't wait to wear it.  The sequins are a little flashy for an average Sunday Mass, but anything goes on St. Patrick's Day, right?  The sweater was a gift from the same aunt a while back (half my closet is from that aunt!).  The shoes were a birthday gift last year.  Skirt was a hand-me-down from my beloved sister-in-law.  I suppose I did buy my undergarments...

I think next year, my Lenten sacrifice will simply be to take my toddler to Mass every Sunday.  (My parents offered to watch her while we went to Mass yesterday, but not until after we got home.  "We were going to tell you to leave her...")  David and I took turns spending the entire Mass in the vestibule.  It's not that Lucia was particularly naughty, she just likes to walk around and would probably walk right up to the altar and try to climb it if we let her.  And when she's in the walking mood, she doesn't exactly want to be held.  I case you forget that, if you try to hold her, she reminds you quite LOUDLY.  David's convinced that she's more active than the average toddler, but I just don't know.  I've never met a toddler mom who's said, "Oh, little Timmy just sits there all day and doesn't get into nary a thing!"  Mass behavior: solid D

Yesterday morning, she did fall asleep while I was nursing her - the first time she's slept anywhere other than her crib or car seat in six months.  I loved me some toddler cuddle time, so I was feeling in a very jovial mood despite her Mass behavior and it didn't bother me too much.  I even got to hear half the homily, so I'm feeling in rather good spiritual shape.

Don't you just love the Gospel reading about the adulterous woman? I mean, not the fact that she was adulterous, but the mercy Christ shows her?
“Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her...
Neither do I condemn you.
Go, and from now on do not sin any more.”
The truth is, Jesus was the only one who could truly condemn her because He was the only one without sin, but he chose to be merciful instead.  I hope He is as merciful to me in my sinfulness.

I often hear people say "Jesus loved and accepted everyone just as they were."  This is usually used to justify sins or lifestyles contrary to traditional Christian teaching, kind of a "live and let live" philosophy, but it's a flawed argument.  Yes, He loves us just as we are, in our most sinful moments.  Nothing we do can stop Christ from loving us.  No matter the gravity of our sins, He died for them.  But He doesn't want us to keep committing them!  Show me one place in the Bible where Jesus told a sinner to keep on doing what he was doing.  One situation in which He said it doesn't really matter if you sin.  Nope, you won't find it.  You'll find forgiveness.  And mercy.  And lots of love.  The Gospels are one big love story, really.  But you won't find justifications for or ambivalence toward sin.  

"From now on do not sin any more."

During the homily yesterday, the priest said we should not judge people but we are called to point out sinful behaviors.  And he acknowledged that finding the balance between these is difficult.   Our society can't seem to separate the judgment of a person from the condemnation of his actions.  It's a tricky line to walk and frankly one that I don't do well.  (I err on the side of not saying anything at risk of hurting feelings.  Shouldn't I be more concerned about getting that person to heaven?  Sometimes that means speaking some difficult truths.)

Hate the sin, love the sinner.
How do you do this?
Do you speak up when you see sin?
Or are you silent like me?
Do you show love to others despite their sinfulness?
Or do you make judgments?


I'm linking up to Fine Linen and Purple's What I Wore Sunday linkup.  Check it out for more church attire inspiration.







4 comments:

  1. I love the drape of your skirt! Btw, very few things are as trying as taking a baby in, say, the 0-3 year age range to church! It gets much easier after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do struggle with saying anything regarding other's sins. I mean, it's not like I'm perfect! Since having my twins, I appreciate life so much more, but will not defend it in front of (most) of my friends. I won't even "like" some of Abby Johnson's posts on Facebook incase it shows up in my news feed and I offend my friends (a couple who have had abortions). As far as your sweet Lulu is concerned in Church, I'm with you ten-fold. I have to take my one year old twins by myself because my husband works out of town 21 days at a time. I feel like I really need to work myself up to take them, and once there, I spend the time in the front enterance. We'll get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Lenten small group I joined, we discussed the whole 'don't condemn but do speak up' issue last week. It is such a hard line to walk, and I think I'm more like you as to where I just won't say anything at all.


    I like your new top! I wish I had some family members who would pick out clothes for me. Instead, I've just gotten gift cards that I lately have not had the time to use (first world problem much?). As for mass behavior, the leader of our small group is a mom of 6 and says mass will get easier soon (sounded like around 18 months-2 years) because they start following direction better. So you may not need that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sequins! I so want a sequined shirt of my own but I have no reason to wear one aside from making my 2-year-old go crazy from excitement :P

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.