Sunday, December 30, 2012

What I Wore Sunday: Judgment Free


Skirt: Kohl's (ABstudio) | Shirt: Wrapper
Tights: unknown | Boots: Big Buddha


Purse: Coach Outlet


I used to get a little annoyed with women who had Coach purses.  Or any fancy schmancy designer clothing.  I'm a purse and shoes girl, fo' sho'.  I love clothes.  I even love designer brands.  But most of my clothes come from either thrift stores or clearance racks.  I bought this skirt yesterday for $13, but I thought that was even too much (I only got it because I had a gift card).  So hundreds of dollars on a purse seemed like such a waste.  I mean, how many meals for the poor could you buy with that?

Then, my husband bought me my first Coach purse at the outlet near my home for our first Christmas together (when we were dating).  I got another one from him the next Christmas (we were engaged).  Do you see a trend?  Well, the following two Christmases were our first two together as a married couple (read: poor) and our gift spending limit was only $30, obviously not enough for a Coach purse even at an outlet.  So I continued to use the last purse he gave me.  For three years.  Seriously.  It's only now just beginning to wear out.  I used to have to buy a new purse about three times a year (what can I say, I'm rough on them, they go everywhere with me and hold my entire life).  A $100 Coach purse from the outlet store actually saved me money, since I would have bought nine $30 purses during the time I used it.  Who would have thought a Coach purse was a thrifty buy?

Anyway, the point of the story is that I no longer judge women on their clothing (or accessories).  I've scored some really nice name brand clothing at thrift stores and wonder how many people are wrongly judging me.  How many people know that we are living with my parents and have a little one to care for and assume I'm racking up the credit card bills to buy fancy clothing?  How many people at Mass think I should give a little more to the collection and a little less to my closet?  Yep, I used to be the judgy judger in the pew next to you giving your Louboutins "the look".  Not anymore.  Feel free to wear your designer duds and I promise I will be judgment free.  I've learned my lesson.

On another note, Lucia was a terror in Church today.  Not awful, but utilizing Grace's Mass behavior grading scale, she'd get a solid D.  But she would have been an angel, I'm convinced, if we hadn't been sitting in front of those kids.  The ones that ate an entire meal during Mass.  That ran around like wild apes.  And my well-behaved girl got just a tiny bit confused and thought that maybe, just maybe, that was appropriate Church behavior.  So yeah, we'll get to the Church right before Mass next time and pick a seat next to some really well-behaved old folks who we would like our impressionable one-year-old to emulate. 

On yet another note, the priest gave a powerful homily about giving our best gifts to God based on the first reading in which Hannah left her son, Samuel, at the temple.  Can you imagine letting go of your beloved child, the one you'd prayed so hard for?  How often do we give God our "leftovers", the things we don't want, those last few minutes at the end of the day when we are too exhausted to mutter anything but a simple prayer of rote memorization?  I think that describes me to a tee.  I'm not huge into New Year's resolutions, but if I was, I think mine would be to wake up fifteen minutes early each day to pray before the stress and busyness of the day stripped away my best self.


I'm linking up to Fine Linen and Purple's What I Wore Sunday linkup.  Check it out for more church attire inspiration.





22 comments:

  1. So true "Judgy Judger" - we never really know :) I second the quality hand bag/purse move! Especially if you can snag it discounted through an outlet. Great look and great bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I totally agree with you about not judging! The only reason I can wear any designer brands is if they're a gift or purchased from a thrift store or an outlet. You can look nice without spending full price! And also, that shirt and skirt paired together make a stunning combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lianna! This was the only shirt I had that want with the pants and I didn't think too much about it until I saw the picture - I like it a lot too!

      Delete
  3. I really like the skirt. I love the pleating. WIWS is making my "fashion staples I have yet to own" very, very long...
    As far as purses go, I hate having to carry one, but I stick with Fossil... the leather lasts forever. I bought a little red one darn near 6 years ago for 60 bucks and it still looks brand new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost passed on this skirt, but then I remembered this post http://theevangelista.com/post/38946609968/monochrome-at-the-messiah#disqus_thread) on The Evangelista and thought it looked kind of similar. I'm glad I picked it up!

      I also like Fossil purses although I've never owned one myself.

      Delete
  4. Love the new blog design! I have to agree with you about the designer labels. I used to be a judgey type, too (sometimes I think being on a shoestring budget can do that to you) but I have noticed that when it comes to shoes it pays to spend more money. As for bags I love Vera Bradley Outlet! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think being on a tight budget makes it so that I can't justify paying much for anything and I think that will always stick with me. I'm not a huge Vera Bradley fan, but I thank it's because I always have to be really "matchy matchy" and patterns don't work well for that.

      Delete
  5. you may check around. i think coach has a lifetime warranty that is good even thru purchases at the outlet stores. i won't make any promises but thats the rumor i have heard. coach is my one big splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I will check that out, I've never heard of a Coach warranty.

      Delete
  6. I agree about quality products being good steward of money. I can't say that I pay attention to what others are carrying but I am definitely a big believer that if you can afford it and you need it for good function in daily duties in life (not necessarily "want" for vanity) then it is ok. With that being said, I have only had a diaper bag the last 3 years but finally got a ood quality high end one over a year ago and never looked back. LOL. Cute outfit! The skirt is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I'm going to be a little more picky about quality in the future so that I'm not constantly going through things (not so great for the environment to have stuff constantly going to the dump either).

      Delete
  7. I so appreciate the sentiment about not judging. You never know how someone's acquired something. I, for example, have a wildly gift-giving pops. It's definitely his love language, and sometimes he goes a bit overboard. It can be humbling to accept at times, but it makes him feel loved when I gladly receive them!

    This is why I generally do not talk about the price of my clothes. People don't need to know. It probably wouldn't be cheap enough for some folks and it'd be too cheap for others.

    I love your pleats :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine would always be on the "too cheap" side. I seriously hate paying for something unless it's under $10 and still then, for a shirt, it better be under $5!

      My parents can be generous gift givers too and it can be embarrassing at times.

      Delete
  8. I love the red and black combo of your outfit! There really is nothing quite like a good deal, or some product that lasts forever and is worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that skirt. Though how are you not cold in short sleeves when there is snow on the ground outside? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only took my coat off for the picture! It was cold!

      Delete
  10. Looks like it was your week to lecture something that a lot of us should hear. Thanks! We should rotate the fashion lecture each week.

    I tend to spend more on shoes and purses. They can get so beat up so quickly. Quality really can be more affordable, as long as you steer clear of trends. I carry a vintage D&B, and Fossil is my other fav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need too look into high quality shoes as well because mine wear out FAST (I tend to wear my same favorites over and over and over again).

      Delete
  11. you look great and agree on the thrift finds...we never know how people come about their pricey accessories..... ;-)
    The reading on Samuel always pulls my heartstrings....leaving my baby @ age 3-ish....gut check. ugh. unimaginable and I only can aspire to work toward an OUNCE of Faith that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with your point about designer stuff and not judging... there are some great deals out there and, really, who am I to say if someone does pay full price or not? I will say, though, that you can get some very affordable purses that are cute and hold up well. I love Liz Claiborne bags which aren't really that pricey in dept stores, but I always get them from the outlet for $25 or less. They are really cute; I get tons of compliments on them! I'm fairly rough on my purses, too, and I have about 6 that I rotate throughout the year and have had for up to 5 years. They last and last and last! Lately I've been wanting a new purse, and kind of wishing one would wear out so I have a 'reason' to replace it lol!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.