Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why I Love My Husband (Vol. 7): The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Edition

This morning I woke up feeling like a million bucks.  I got my haircut last night, and I seriously cannot fully convey what a good haircut does for my self-esteem (especially when it’s six months since my last one!).  I had carefully planned my work schedule for the next two days.  Today I would sub half day in the afternoon, tomorrow half day in the morning. It would give me a lot of time to get things done before we left for David’s graduation on Friday.  As I was contemplating the great couple of days ahead of me, it all started coming apart.

I received a call at 7:30 asking if I was still coming in to sub since I was supposed to have been there at seven.  Uh oh.  I thought I had signed up for half day afternoon today and half day morning tomorrow, but it turns out they were both today.  Totally my fault for not looking more carefully, but I didn’t realize the system allowed me to take two subbing positions in one day.  So, five minutes later, I was out the door having quickly thrown on a dress.  No time for breakfast, I was running late and I was on the way.  Even worse than the quick exit was the fact that I had barely enough time to get from one school to another between positions, so there would be no time to stop for lunch, to pump breast milk, to breath. 
To say the least, this day was stressful.  I still have a sick stomach because I was so upset that I was running late and left the school in a bind.  That I was irresponsible.  That I potentially left the house without enough breast milk in the fridge for Lulu.  That I didn’t get to kiss David goodbye.  Despite all that, I am grateful for my difficult day because it reminded me why I love my husband. 




He helped me stay calm and collect all my belongings this morning as I was rushing out the door.

I know that I never have to worry about Lucia because David watches Lucia while I’m at work.  And by watches, I mean plays with, bonds with, has so much fun with Lucia.  He never complains about staying home with her even though I know he usually gets really stir crazy.

He doesn’t just stay home with the baby, he cleans!  And he’s so much better than I am.  The house looks cleaner after he’s home a day with her than when I’m home with her.  I feel like I’m coming home to paradise.

He met me at the school of my second assignment with a lunch he made for me.  The school was about a half an hour from our apartment so it was no small task getting there with a baby.  That PBJ was the best sandwich I’d ever had!

He is very supportive.  He didn't once blame me or admonish me for making a mistake in scheduling.  He just helped me get through the day as best as he could. 

When I got home today, there were flowers waiting for me.  And not just any flowers, roses!  

He prays for me.  He told me this morning that he was praying for me, and truly believe because of his prayers, today turned out so much better than I could have ever imagined it would have under such stressful circumstances:  The teacher I was subbing for had a planning period first hour so it ended up being ok that I was late (and the sub coordinator didn’t seem to mind so much because she asked me to sub tomorrow and Friday).  My position in the afternoon was at an elementary school and the students had P.E. not long after I arrived so I was able to find a bathroom to pump.  And most of all, I had no problems with students (even though I was told at both places that they were difficult classes)! 

4 comments:

  1. Ohh David is so sweet! I'm glad that your day ended up working out! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this has just made MY day!! He really is a Super Hero!! That's what marriage is all about.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! Marriage isn't only about the best moments, it's about having someone there for you for the worst moments too! (Not that this was really that bad, but you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.