Friday, November 16, 2012

My Husband as Father




It's time for another Wedded Bliss Wednesday hosted by Table for More and Life After...   I missed last week's and this one is late, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk about my husband as a father!


What is your husband's best trait as a father?
 
David has two and they are also his best traits as a husband: his faithfulness and his patience.  I know I don't have to explain why patience is so important in raising children.  If he can hold a screaming baby unfazed (for hours), he can take on any parenting task, even parenting a teenager!  As for faithfulness, I know a day doesn't pass by without David praying for his family.

What is your husband's favorite thing to do with the kids?
 Lucia's still pretty young, so there aren't a lot of outings or formal activities yet.  He really loved to just play with her.  He spends hours with her in her room, which is her "safe zone" to go where she wants and play with whatever is in sight.  I often come home and her room is a mess - books and puzzle pieces and stuffed animals everywhere.  He adores watching her do her own thing and explore.  Tickling her is probably his second favorite activity.

How does your husband help out with the kids?
He does it all.  He's changed more diapers than I have, probably double or triple.  He does the laundry, the dishes, gets Lulu ready in the morning and often puts her to bed at night.  He plays with her.  A lot.  For a while he was a full-time stay-at-home dad, but now we both work part-time and pretty evenly share the household and child-rearing workload.  It's awesome.  I'm blessed.
What do you hope your children learn from their dad?
I hope Lucia (and any other future daughters) learn how a man is supposed to treat a woman by watching my husband's interactions with me.  I want them to compare every man they date to their father and quickly dump those that don't stack up to daddy.  On the same note, I want my sons to learn how to be a gentleman from their dad; he's a great role model in that arena.  I think it's also so important that boys have examples of very faithful men and I love that our (hopefully someday) sons will see a strong man who is not afraid to humble himself before God.  I would also love if our kids got his curiosity, love of science, and musical talent.  But if I could choose only one trait of my husband to pass on to our children, it would be his kind and patient personality. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.