Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Two Favorite Homemade Products: One Beauty, One Cleaning




Homemade Deodorant

Like most women, when I became pregnant with my first child, I suddenly became conscious of all the chemicals in my life.  It's one thing to willingly subject myself to nasty chemicals, but the thought of introducing them to my developing baby was unbearable!  I had been wary of the ingredients in deodorant for a while, but pregnancy made me finally seek out alternatives.  I've tried a few recipes, but this one is my favorite: three easy-to-obtain ingredients, a nice consistancy, and works great:
1 part (organic) coconut oil
1 part baking soda
1 part cornstarch

Melt the coconut oil.  It melts at slightly over room tempertature so this doesn't take much time or heat.  I usually just put it in the microwave in a bowl for a minute or two, but you could do it on the stove as well.  Mix in baking soda and cornstarch.  Pour into the container of your choice.  Let it cool overnight into a solid consistancy.  That's it!  I've heard to can pour it into an old deodorant container so that you can roll it on, but I've never done it.  I like to just scoop it with my fingertips and rub it under my arms.  It melts with skin contact so it take a bit of time to get used to this difference, but it works great!  (Note: It's not an antipersperant, but that's fine by me because it's healthy to sweat, I just don't want to smell it!)  I love the coconut smell, but if that's not your thing, you can add a few drops of essential oils of your choice.

The Best Ever Two Ingredient Shower Cleaner

I just used this for the first time the other day and I'm a believer.  We were planning to give Lucia a bath when I realized just how dirty the tub was.  I mean filthy, disgusting, nasty!  No way my baby was taking a bath in there.  So I looked up some homemade shower cleaner recipes, found one that I had all the ingredients for and was AMAZED.  Here it is:
1 part white vinegar
1 part dish soap
Warm up the vinegar (in the microwave for a minute or two).  Put in a spray bottle, add the dish soap, and shake, shake, shake.  Spray in your shower.  Wait a while (at least 30 minutes).  Then wipe off all the nasties.  Because our bath tub was so gross, I had to do a little scrubbing in the dirtiest spots, but otherwise it wouldn't have needed any scrubbing at all.  It cleaned everything: the tile, the grout, the tub, the stainless steel fixtures, the glass door (it's usually a beast to get the soap scum off the door)!  I think this is the cleanest that tub has been since my parents moved in here 12 years ago.  I almost wish I got before and after shots, but those before shots would have been embarrassing! 


These both are amazing homemade products, free of harsh chemicals, so quick & easy to make, and way cheaper than the store-bought varieties!  I'm still working on slowly making my beauty & cleaning routines more healthy and green; leave me a comment with the recipes of your favorite homemade products that I just HAVE TO try.

6 comments:

  1. I was just looking at my coconut oil tonight thinking it is about time I made deodorant. Seeing this post was perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.gracelovesiggy.comNovember 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM

    I've been wanting to make my own deodorant! I read another recipe for one that included arrowroot powder but I keep forgetting to order it online and I never come across it so I haven't done it. I have everything for this though so maybe I'll try this one first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about the deodorant (using arrowroot starch) and I can't wait for my existing supply to run out so I can try it! My favorite kitchen cleaner is equal parts water and vinegar with your choice of essential oil. I use orange zest essential oil.... a lot of it! It cleans SO well and the vinegar smell goes away in just a few seconds, leaving the orange scent behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original recipe I used said either arrowroot powder or cornstarch. I had corn starch on hand so that's what I went with. I'd be interested in comparing the two though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ALWAYS read about cleaning and beauty recipes with essential oils - but i've never bought any. Maybe if I have a little extra money after the holidays, I'll get some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both look great! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.